Laura Chase of Chez Bloom was kind enough to answer a few questions about her business. Oh how wonderful it would be to work with flowers and create gorgeous bouquets each day!
1. Describe your floral business – what is it, how do you do it?
Chez Bloom is a full service retail florist that specializes in weddings, events, flower delivery for life’s everyday celebrations and sympathy floral arrangements. We design two weddings per weekend and have a staff
2. What are some challenges you face?
All florists face the challenges of having “phoney florists” listed in both the phone books and on-line that simply forward orders to other florists. We always encourage people to call florists in the city they need flowers deivered to directly. Not to go through (an old fashioned expensive Wire Service) Other challenges can be finding good quality product, especially if it is out of season. Chez Bloom keeps relations and builds contacts direct with farms and we try to buy locally or at least within the US if possible.
3. What is the best part about your business/job?
Getting to be creative everyday, working with beautiful plants, flowers and greenery some that are new and recently developed i.e. Roses, I am always amazed at new hybrid varieties.
4. Do you have any tips/recommendations to brides who are looking for a florist?
Yes, I would talk with more than one, I would try to select flowers that are in season to keep your budget reasonable and I would not recommend hiring a florist who works from home with no cooler, insurance or who does not accept credit cards. If anything were to go wrong, you have little or no recourse of getting flowers on time or your money returned. Check references!
5. What should a bride bring when meeting with their florist?
Pictures if bouquets that she loves (although we do have lots of images) and the colors she wants to work with. Its also great to get an idea of what she wants for centerpieces.
6. What recommendations do you have for brides when choosing florals for their wedding?
Go for seasonal, steer clear of scented flowers if you have friends or family with allergies and I would stay away from dyed or “sprayed flowers”. You need not match the flowers exactly to fabrics and some dyes
can stain. A stained wedding dress-not so good!
7. And the old “stranded on a deserted island” question – what 5 items would you want with you?
1. Seeds, a good knife, tank of propane, twizzlers, Johnny Depp.
8. If you have anything else you’d like to say about your business, weddings, or life in general, here’s your soapbox (say it here).
I would say, “Don’t overstress about your wedding day, have fun, take lots of pictures and start planning early, in fact, get the best planner you can and your stress will be much less!
I have to be honest and let ya’ll know that my wedding bouquet came from Chez Bloom and it was GORGEOUS (see above, don’t you agree?) – so I may be a wee bit biased.
Thanks to Laura for sharing!
Photo taken by Laura Ivanova | florals styled by Chez Bloom | Event styled by La La Soiree